PDA

View Full Version : Allah in Arabic Bible

Lulua
15-04-2002, 18:54
Assalaamu alaikum ya muslimeen.

Greetings and good day to all.

This is in retrospect in relation to the long thread dealing with the name of the Almighty God. That thread is getting quite long, and I am not yet quite caught up with all the responses. Still reading thru it.

But, in reference to it, I have located several interesting and well-documented articles in relation to the name of God, i.e. Allah.

But before I reprint any of those or offer the links, I would like to address netcurtains on his offer of debating the roots of the word, or rather name, of Allah. Just a friendly word of advice and warning, net...you should not take on a task of exploring or debating a word of a language which you yourself do not know, and of which you have little chance of understanding unless you go thru many years and hard work of studying it, and practicing it.

Allah is a word, rather a name, which is neither indicative of male nor female. That is quite abstract in Arabic, really, in which all nouns and pronouns and even verbs, in other words, all of the grammatical expressions have their own sexual tendencies. It (i.e. 'Allah') is an expression or pronoun for the One and Only God, and is typically used only for this expression. Not for any other use, and has no root. It is it's own root. If that is the correct description.

Now to progress to some of the articles in relation to this.

Lulua.

----------------

'The word Allah in the Arabic Bible'
http://www.muslim-answers.org/a-bible.htm

'Who is Allah?'
http://www.muslim-answers.org/allah.htm

They are two excellent and completely comprehensive articles on this topic of the name of God, and perhaps will enlighten you on this matter and question.

Because the images of the Arabic script did not copy well here (I have not yet learned how to reproduce images on this program), I have provided for you merely the links, without reproducing the actual articles. Please do refer to them, and you will find, that even though you cannot read Arabic, it is explained in the beginning of the article how to recognize the Arabic script which indicates the name 'Allah'. Each time it appears, whether from Quran reference or Bible reference, it is underlined in red, for easy recognition. And the word or name itself is quite simple and short, and therefore easy to recognize, even for those who do not know how to read Arabic.

I hope sincerely that some of these articles help you to better understand.

There are also many more good articles at this site, and suggest that you look into them, and discover some more things that perhaps you did not realize about Islam or comparative religious studies.

May Allah lead us all to that which is best.

Lulua.

----------------

Netcurtains
15-04-2002, 20:07
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 15-04-02 AT 09:04 PM (GMT)]You misunderstood me.
I never said Allah had any meaning I am aware of.

I meant to say Elah and Allah look and sound similiar
to an Englishmen and I see nothing wrong with a name
that sounds like a tree - my own real name is and of
course Christians view God as "the tree of life".
I never said Allah was Elah - you have misunderstood me
100%. ELAH is SIMILIAR but so is ELLA ( a common girls name) -

The TREE of MAMRE is of course important to Jews and Christians
and I am sure the Muslims in Hebron respect the site. Perhaps
the Muslims living in Hebron like to visit the area to.

Actually I am getting confused. What I mean is to a "Western" CHRISTIAN ELAH sounds similar to ALLAH and since we think of God to some extent as "the Tree of life" and that this Tree of Mamre was associated with an early form of TRINITY, some of us think it is NOT a coincidence that ELAH (mighty oak) sounds like the name of God. This is not a disrespect to Muslims - it is just a view of some of us. I personally am happy with this symbolism. We of course do not think god is an Oak tree (lol) - but rather the Oak tree in the story has some symbolism of God. To us Christians the tree is a symbol of Jesus and to Jews a symbol of Judasism as a whole. The symbol of the cutting down and reborn aspect of the tree (this tree is at its most wonderful just before it loses all its leafs) and the presevation aspect of the resin of this particular type of oak (eg wine lasts a great deal longer when mixed with this resin) - obviously wine is a Christian symbol. Trinity, Rebirth and wine preservation and Elah tree. There is no disrespect. You misunderstand me. I think.

vancouver
21-04-2002, 22:22
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 21-04-02 AT 10:27 PM (GMT)]Greetings

Allah means 'The God'.
Viewed as a personal name, Allah is a contraction of Al-Ilah, Arabic words meaning "The God." The name appears in the Qur´"an some 2,700 times.

Regards

vancouver

Huda
24-04-2002, 01:47
According to Muslims, Allah is the personal name of the one true God. Nothing else can be called Allah. The term has no plural or gender. This shows its uniqueness when compared with the word god which can be mad plural or feminine. Allah is the Almighty, Creator and Sustainer of the universe, who is similar to nothing and nothing is comparable to Him. Allah is the creator of life and death, hence He is free of death and eternal. Whatever He created, He knows in its minutest detail, hence He is all-knowing. Similarly, He is all-seeing, all-hearing, Most Compassionate, Most Merciful, Forgiving and Just.
In the Quran Allah says: “In the name of God, the Merciful, the Compassionate. Say He is God the One God, the Everlasting Refuge, who has not begotten nor has be begotten and equal to him is not anyone.”
Allah said, "Verily for the righteous are gardens of delight in the presence of their Lord. Shall we then treat the people of faith like the people of sin? What is the matter with you? How judge you?"

You must know that nothing is like Allah, he is eternal, self sufficient, does not depend on anything for his existance, which has no end.

Allah said in the Quran: “God has not taken to himself any son nor is there any god with him. For then each god would have taken off that which he created and some of them would have risen up over others. And why were there gods in earth and heaven other that God they would surely go to ruin.”

He also said: “Do you worship what you have carved yourself or have you taken unto you others beside him to be your protectors, even such as have no power to protect themselves?”

Allah said: “He is God, there is no god but he. He is the knower of the unseen and the visible, he is the all merciful, the all compassionate. He is god, there is no god but he. He is the king, the all holy, the all peace, the guardian of faith, the preserver, the all mighty the all compeller, the all sublime. Glory be to god above that they associate! He is god, the creator, the maker the shaper. To him belong the names most beautifu. All that is in the heavens and the earth magnifies him. He is the all hight, the all glorious."

Muslims are told that Allah has ninety nine names, all which have relevance in every Muslim's life.

JBJ
24-04-2002, 05:29
Salaam Huda,

You say Allah has no gender. If you know Arabic, could you tell me what the male form of "ilah" is? Thanks,

JBJ

Rasha
24-04-2002, 13:27
[updated:LAST EDITED ON 24-04-02 AT 01:27 PM (GMT)]:)

there is no male version of the word ilah that i know of.... I'm arab... have never heard of a female version of ilah so far...

JBJ
25-04-2002, 02:48
Thanks, not that I'm the best person to say so, or even decent, but I've heard "ilat" is the feminine. I know Arabic uses gender nouns, so is it true that every noun has a gender?

JBJ

Rasha
25-04-2002, 02:52
Yes every word has a gender except few... the word Allah is one of them.... as for ilah... i asked another sister i know who is better than i am in arabic.. she said ilah is not feminine...

there is no equivalence of goddess in Arabic... Ilah is God..
the sister also said ilah is not masculine..its a no gender word but i wouldn't know that... it sounds masculine... i'll ask an arabic teacher i know when he comes online.

JBJ
25-04-2002, 18:22
Thanks. I'll see if I can find where I saw that ilat is supposedly feminine.

Rasha
25-04-2002, 20:38
I'd be interested to see it! please provide a link if u find it.